The City of Columbia has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with disabilities Act. Title II states, in part, that “no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination” in programs or activities sponsored by a public entity.
Complaints should be addressed to: City of Columbia, Law Department, ADA
Coordinator: Adam Kruse, 701 East Broadway, 2nd Flr., P.O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65205. Phone: (573) 817-5024.
- A complaint shall be filed in writing and shall contain the name and address of the person filing it together with a brief description of the violation(s) alleged.
- A complaint should be filed within 14 days of when the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation. (Processing of allegations of discrimination occurring before this written grievance procedure was in place shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
- An investigation, when deemed appropriate, shall follow the filing of a complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by the ADA Coordinator or his/her designee. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the ADA Coordinator and a copy shall be forwarded to the complainant no later than 14 business days after its filing. In the event a complex issue arises that requires additional review, the response time may be extended beyond 14 days.
- The ADA Coordinator shall maintain the files and records of the City of Columbia relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant may request reconsideration of their case in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made, within 14 days of the issuance of the ADA Coordinator’s written resolution, to the City Manager.
- The right of a person to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed hereunder shall not be impaired by the person’s pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards and to assure that the City of Columbia complies with the ADA and implementing regulations.