Section 12-18 Functions, powers and duties.
Prior to the adoption of Ord. 21177 on 12/05/2011, Section 12-18 read as follows.
The commission shall have the following functions, powers and duties:
(1) To formulate and carry out educational programs designed
to minimize or eliminate those
discriminatory practices made unlawful by Article III of this chapter.
(2) To receive and investigate complaints alleging any
discriminatory practices made
unlawful by Article III of this chapter.
(3) To endeavor to eliminate discriminatory practices
made unlawful by Article III of this
chapter by conference, conciliation and persuasion.
(4) To provide mediation services to resolve incidences
of alleged discriminatory practices
made unlawful by Article III of this chapter.
(5) To cooperate with other organizations, private and
public, to discourage discrimination.
(6) To encourage fair treatment for all persons regardless
of age as it relates to employment,
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, marital status, handicap, sexual orientation
or familial status as it relates to housing.
(7) To advise the city council on human rights issues.
(8) To hold public hearings on the state of human rights
and relations in the city and on
specific human rights issues.
(9) To sponsor or initiate specifically targeted workshops
and on-going programs to improve
human relations and to decrease tensions in the city.
(10) To present informational programs on human rights to school, business, service
(11) To adopt rules, regulations and guidelines pertaining to
the investigation and disposition
of complaints consistent with the provisions of this chapter.
(12) To make recommendations to the city manager for
funding human rights enhancement
(Ord. No. 13194 § 2, 12-16-91; Ord. No. 17127, § 1, 1-7-02; Ord. No. 20659, § 1, 6-21-10)