Chapter 12A LAND PRESERVATION
Section 12A-2 Purpose.
The purpose of this chapter is to:
(1) Protect the health, safety and
property of the people of Columbia by regulating the
disturbance of land surface areas by preserving trees, preventing erosion on disturbed areas, and
controlling storm water drainage.
(2) Assure that consideration is given
to the preservation and restoration of natural features
in the grading or development of public and private land.
(3) Assure that proper provisions
are made regarding control of sediments resulting from
rainfall on graded areas, and that adequate facilities are constructed for the management of storm
(4) Assure the movement of emergency
vehicles during storm periods.
(5) Protect the public from rapidly
flowing water and flash floods.
(6) Minimize storm and flood losses
resulting from uncontrolled runoff.
(7) Establish requirements for construction
of storm water management facilities in newly
(8) Establish reasonable stormwater
utility charges to enable the stormwater utility to
develop and maintain a stormwater management system.
(Ord. No. 13019, § 1, 7-1-91; Ord. No. 13590 § 1, 2-15-93)