Section 19-166 Laid-off/demoted employees.
Prior to the adoption of Ord. 19230 on 09/18/2006, Section 19-166 read as follows.
Present full-time permanent employees laid off or reduced to a lower classification
a reduction in force or reassignment of priorities, duties,
and/or projects shall be
placed at the top
of the proper certification list and shall rank ahead of non-city employed individuals competing
for the same positions.
(b) Permanent employees wishing to voluntary demote
with the consent of the department
head and director, may do so when all the following conditions are met:
(1) There is a vacant position available;
(2) The employee has previously successfully completed
a probationary/qualifying period in
the vacant position requested.
(3) There has been no gap in service since the successful
completion of the
probationary/qualifying period in the vacant position requested.
(4) When the voluntary demotion is approved, the employees
seniority shall begin over in
the new classification.
(5) Upon reappointment to the new classification,
the employee shall be required to
successfully complete a probationary or qualifying period of at least six (6) continuous months
(Code 1964, § 22.850)