Chapter 2 ADMINISTRATION*
Section 2-237 Gifts of works of art; procedures and guidelines for acceptance.
(a) Persons wishing to donate works of art to the city
shall submit the following information
to the manager of cultural affairs:
(1) A description of the work of art including the dimensions;
(2) The proposed display site, if a particular site is preferred;
(3) If the work of art has not been completed, relevant information on the artists;
(4) The estimated value of the work of art;
(5) An estimate of any cost to the city for installing the work (including such
items as cost of
removal from and restoration of an existing site, relocation costs and site preparation costs);
(6) If applicable, the identity of the persons installing the work and the manner
in which the
installation shall be accomplished;
(7) A description of any repair or restoration work needed and an estimate of
the cost of such
repair or restoration.
(8) A description of any necessary maintenance procedures and an estimate of
the annual cost
of such maintenance.
The manager of cultural affairs, to the extent feasible, shall assist potential donors in assembling
(b) The manager of cultural affairs shall forward information
received on a proposed gift of
a work of art to the commission on cultural affairs and, if applicable, to the department head in
charge of the proposed display site.
(c) The commission on cultural affairs shall make a recommendation
to the city council on
whether to accept the proposed gift of a work of art. In making its recommendation, the
commission shall consider the following factors:
(1) The quality of the work of art;
(2) If the work has not been completed, the ability of the artist;
(3) The appropriateness of locating the work of art at the proposed display site;
(4) Any proposed restrictions on the gift;
(5) The technical feasibility of accepting and installing the work of art;
(6) The cost to the city of accepting the work of art.
In considering a proposed gift of a work of art, the commission shall consider the comments of
the department head in charge of the proposed display site and the comments of any authorities
or experts with whom the commission has consulted.
(d) The city council shall decide whether to accept or
reject works of art offered to the city.
(Ord. No. 15073, § 1, 12-2-96; Ord. No. 21571, § 1, 1-7-13)
(Ord. 21571, Amended, 01/07/2013, Prior Text)