Section 2-237 Gifts of works of art; procedures and guidelines for acceptance.
Prior to the adoption of Ord. 21571 on 01/07/2013, Section 2-237 read as follows.
(a) Persons wishing to donate works
of art to the city shall submit the following information
to the manager of cultural affairs:
(1) A description of the work of art including the dimensions;
(2) The proposed display site, if a particular site is preferred;
(3) If the work of art has not been completed, relevant information
on the artists;
(4) The estimated value of the work of art;
(5) An estimate of any cost to the city for installing the
work (including such items as cost of
removal from and restoration of an existing site, relocation costs and site preparation costs);
(6) If applicable, the identity of the persons installing
the work and the manner in which the
installation shall be accomplished;
(7) A description of any repair or restoration work needed
and an estimate of the cost of such
repair or restoration.
(8) A description of any necessary maintenance procedures
and an estimate of the annual cost
of such maintenance.
The manager of cultural affairs, to the extent feasible, shall assist potential donors
(b) The manager of cultural affairs
shall forward information received on a proposed gift of
a work of art to the commission on cultural affairs and, if applicable, to the department head in
charge of the proposed display site.
(c) The commission on cultural affairs
shall make a recommendation to the city council on
whether to accept the proposed gift of a work of art. In making its recommendation, the
commission shall consider the following factors:
(1) The quality of the work of art;
(2) If the work has not been completed, the ability of the
(3) The appropriateness of locating the work of art at the
proposed display site;
(4) Any proposed restrictions on the gift;
(5) The technical feasibility of accepting and installing
the work of art;
(6) The cost to the city of accepting the work of art.
In considering a proposed gift of a work of art, the commission shall consider the
the department head in charge of the proposed display site and the comments of any authorities
or experts with whom the commission has consulted.
(d) The city council shall decide
whether to accept or reject works of art offered to the city.
(Ord. No. 15073, § 1, 12-2-96)