Chapter 22 PUBLIC WORKS AND IMPROVEMENTS*
Section 22-119 Volunteer agreements.
(a) Before any volunteer beautification or cleanup project
is accepted by the city, the volunteer
or volunteer group shall apply to the director and acknowledge the individual and group
responsibilities attendant to the project. The application shall cover the following points:
(1) The location and description of
the street, right of way, property or equipment site to be
adopted or beautified.
(2) A plan for the cleanup or beautification,
including start date, work schedule, completion
date or length of commitment, list of materials or supplies needed, source of the supplies, support
required of the city.
(3) A plan identifying safety hazards
of the project and outlining the safety measures and
training to be provided, including a schedule and outline of safety meetings that shall be
(4) Reporting requirements of the
volunteers and a plan for meeting those requirements.
(5) Identification of volunteers who
are responsible and methods to contact these people.
(6) A plan for handling materials
cleaned up, including recyclables, or materials expended in
the case of beautification.
(7) A plan for use and return of any
city-supplied equipment or materials.
(b) The city shall support volunteer efforts by:
(1) Assisting the volunteer or volunteer
groups in creating the plans required by this section.
(2) Providing (where applicable) bags,
gloves, safety vests and "Volunteers at Work" signs.
(3) Arranging for collection and disposal
of the material collected.
(4) Maintaining records on amounts
collected, number of volunteers involved, and hours of
(5) Providing identification signs
to be placed in the adopted area.
(6) Assisting the volunteer group
in recognizing safety issues and responding to these issues.
(c) The safety of volunteers participating in cleanup or
beautification programs is the
responsibility of the individual volunteer and volunteer groups and not the city. Each volunteer
shall sign a statement to this effect releasing the city from responsibility for injuries occurring
during participation in the program.
(Ord. No. 14884 § 1, 6-17-96)