Prior to the adoption of Ord. 21051 on 08/15/2011, Section 24-71 read as follows.

    (a)     Whenever any person shall desire to temporarily block a portion of any public street or sidewalk outside of the downtown area as described in section 24-73 for any purpose other than the collection of signatures on a petition or the dissemination of information, or work under a permit issued by the director of public works under article II, division 2 for a closing not exceeding thirty (30) days, such person shall make application on a form to be supplied by the city to the city manager not less than ten (10) days prior to the next city council meeting preceding the date the person shall desire to use such street or sidewalk. The city manager may issue a permit to such person to use a portion of such street or sidewalk to such extent and for such time as the city manager shall find to be reasonably necessary, provided that the city manager shall find that the following conditions exist:

    (1)    No safety hazard will be created as determined by the director of public works or his designate, and

    (2)    No obstruction will be created that would unreasonably interfere with police, fire or health protection of the city, and

    (3)    No unreasonable interference with the normal uses of the abutting property will be created.

    (b) The person making an application to the city manager shall, as a part of the application, present evidence that all users or owners or occupants of property abutting the area to be used have been notified of the use, the dates and time of such use and their right to protest under this section.

(Code 1964, § 14.010(B); Ord. No. 9995, § 1, 11-7-83; Ord. No. 10140, § 1, 4-2-84; Ord. No. 20654, § 1, 6-21-10)