- Use caution with holiday decorations and whenever possible,
choose those made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant or non-combustible
- Keep candles away from decorations and other combustible materials,
and do not use candles to decorate Christmas trees.
- Purchase only lights and electrical decorations bearing the
name of an independent testing lab, and follow the manufacturer's
instructions for installation and maintenance.
- Carefully inspect new and previously used light strings and
replace damaged items before plugging lights in. Do not overload
- Always unplug lights before replacing light bulbs or fuses.
- Don't mount lights in any way that can damage the cord's wire
insulation (i.e., using clips, not nails).
- Keep children and pets away from light strings and electrical
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving the
house or going to bed.
More information from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.