Columbia/Boone County Public Health and Human Services
We invite you to be a part of our MAPP (Mobilizing for Action Through Planning and Partnerships) process. There are many ways to get involved. Click here to learn more!
|Optimal health, safety and
well-being for all.
|To promote and protect the health, safety and well-being of the community through leadership and service.
- Warming Centers and Official Shelters - Our department maintains a network of Warming Centers and Official Shelters throughout the community. Click here for a list of this winter's locations.
- FLU SEASON is here -Visit our flu page for up-to-date information on how to protect yourself and your family this flu season.
- Server Training UPDATED - Click here for more information on the Server Training ordinance, including additions to the approved trainings.
- Teens and Parents: UPDATED Teen Resources - Click here for the most comprehensive (and convenient) youth and teen resource directory in the Columbia area. Learn about services related to bullying, dental health, alcohol, drug and tobacco prevention and treatment and after-school tutoring, just to name a few.
- Mosquito Spraying - Mosquito spraying on the MKT Trail and other trail areas began on Friday, June 7th and will continue into September. The spraying is typically done weekly, on Friday mornings, with a truck-mounted ultra-low volume sprayer using Anvil 2 plus 2. The product is considered safe and is approved by the EPA for mosquito control. Weekly spraying on the trails occurs between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. (on Fridays). For more information, please contact us at 874-7346.
- Updated Clinic Fees - Our fees have changed. Click here for more information.
- Unite4Health Community Garden - In a true spirit of collaboration, our department has worked with the city's Public Works and Water and Light departments to develop a community garden in the once-vacant lot to the west of our building. Click here to learn more or here to watch our latest garden video update.
- Spring HIA Newsletter - is now available. Click here to read it!
- Food Code Updates - Our Environmental Public Health team is updating Columbia's current Food Code. If you missed the information sessions held earlier this year, click here for the handouts. The FDA Food Code contains the rules and regulations that food service establishments must follow to be in compliance with food safety laws. Click here for the most up-to-date code (the 2009 Food Code).
- Severe Weather - Click here to watch videos on how to stay safe during a tornado in a school, house or mobile home.
- Smart911 - Sign up for this free, potentially life-saving service today! In an emergency, your local 9-1-1 operator can access information that could help save your life. Register today at www.smart911.com
- Columbia/Boone County Health Assessment - The assessment was revised in May 2011 and is available here
- Adolescent Health Needs Assessment - The health department recently released findings of a city/county Adolescent Health Needs Assessment. Our department has a long history of working with adolescents in preventing teen pregnancy and STD's, as well as working with community organizations to reduce other risk behaviors that originate during adolescence such as tobacco, alcohol and drug use, lack of physical activity and poor eating habits. Adolescent health is an important component of public health as teen health behaviors have long-term implications on future health outcomes and health care costs.
For more information, please contact Maureen Coy at 573.874.7559.
- Click here for a summary of the results.
- Click here to view the PowerPoint presentation which talks more in-depth about the study and findings.
- Click here for the complete version of the Adolescent Health Needs Assessment.
- Old Medications - Ever wonder what to do with old medication? Click here for more information.
- Healthy Living Podcasts - Click here for a list of podcasts on various topics, all of which can help you lead a healthier lifestyle.
- Animal Control Urban Service Area Map - Try our new Animal Control Urban Service Area interactive map Use the map to determine if you are in the Animal Control Urban Service Area.
- Are you looking for autism support services? Click here to download Navigating Autism Services: A Community Guide for Missouri, a 24-page booklet published by the Missouri Department of Mental Health.
- Are you Living With a Chronic Disease? - Click here for help.
- AED Registration - AED registration must be updated annually. Please click here for the required form. For more information, please contact us at 573.874.7345.
- Heart Attack and Stroke Risk - Are you at risk for heart attack and stroke? Click here for a free, confidential assessment. Please be sure to fill out the feedback survey after you've completed the assessment. For more information on heart attack and stroke prevention, please contact us at 573.874.7356.
- Urban Chicken Ordinance - Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Click here to read the ordinance. The Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture is a great resource for residents who want to raise chickens responsibly.
- Attention Health Care Providers Do you need information regarding treatment of pertussis? Click here for CDC guidelines.
- Healthy Lifestyle Initiative Survey Results - More than 1500 adults and 800 kids responded to a survey that asked questions about physical activity and food. Click here for results.
- Domestic Partnership Registry - Couples may register at the health department Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Click here for the required registration form.
- Expanded Services for Uninsured Women - The state of Missouri expanded its Uninsured Women's Health Services Program. Visit the state's website, view our flier or call us at 573-874-7356 for assistance.
- Bed Bugs - Everything you need to know about Bed Bugs
- Columbia Cooks! View recipes from this year's chefs!
- Smoking Cessation Program- Learn how we can help you quit or read our manual to start your own organization's smoking cessation program!
- The City of Columbia Smoking Ordinance - View our Brochure and Fact Sheet.
Frequently Requested Information: