It is the intent of these regulations to require
pushcarts to comply with all sections of the food
service ordinance and code not specifically waived
or modified below:
- The sale of unwrapped frankfurters, sauerkraut,
chestnuts, fresh fruit, pretzels, popcorn, and soft
drinks will be allowed from pushcarts that are not
equipped with screens and plumbing facilities normally
required for street food processors. Other food
items may be authorized at a later date.
- Food will be handled only with utensils such as
tongs, or napkins, or other clean tissues. At no
time will the pushcart operators directly handle
unwrapped food items.
- Each container of food on the pushcart shall be
equipped with a tight-fitting lid. Lids will be
kept closed at all times except when food is being
added or removed.
- Spigots for coffee and soft drinks will be kept
covered at all times except when drinks are being
- When potentially hazardous foods, including frankfurters,
are sold from pushcarts, a service depot shall be
provided as required elsewhere for mobile food processors.
- When the restricted pushcart operator desires
to sell only non-hazardous foods, service facilities
will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- All potentially hazardous foods, except completely
wrapped frozen items, which remain unsold at the
end of the business day shall be discarded.
- Where tongs or other utensils are used to handle
unwrapped food items, a minimum of two spares utensils
will be kept on the cart at all times. Spare utensils
shall be clean, sanitized, and wrapped to prevent
contamination. If the utensil in use becomes contaminated,
it must be replaced with a clean utensil. If no
spare utensil is available, food service operations
shall cease until additional spares are obtained.
- Each restricted pushcart shall be equipped with
a trash receptacle. The receptacle shall be available
for use by customers and shall be covered when not
- Condiments must be provided in single-service
portions or limited to non-potentially hazardous
items such as catsup and mustard, and must be dispensed
from squeeze containers. Containers must be protected
from contamination when not in use.
- Under no circumstances will customers be permitted
to serve themselves.
- Containers used for holding unwrapped food items
must be conveniently removable from the pushcart
to allow proper cleaning and sanitizing.
- An operating permit must be obtained for each
pushcart. Such permits shall be posted in a conspicuous
location in the pushcart.
- All pushcart operations shall be provided a service
depot. This requirement may be waived for limited
Food Vendor operations.
- The construction of a service depot shall conform
with the food code.
- An adequate supply of hot and cold running water
for cleaning and sanitizing mobile units shall be
available at all times. Water shall be from an approved
water supply. The hose used for filling the water
tank of such mobile units shall be used for no other
- All equipment used in conjunction with mobile
unit operation shall be thoroughly cleaned at the
end of each day’s operation.
- The wastewater tank on the mobile unit shall be
emptied and cleaned only at the service depot. Proper
drains shall be provided in the depot for this purpose.
Adequate sanitary containers shall be provided for
storage of trash and food wastes.
- Adequate sanitary storage space shall be provided
for supplies and equipment. A dry storage room or
other facilities suitable for storing perishable
foods at a temperature of 41 degrees F., or lower,
shall be provided.
- Approved toilet and lavatory facilities shall
- Facilities shall be provided which will assure
the proper washing, rinsing, and sanitizing of all
equipment that comes in contact with food products.