With the colder temperatures hitting the Mid-Missouri area, the Columbia/Boone County Department of Public Health and Human Services wants to warn you about carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a frightening situation because it’s a odorless and colorless gas. It is more likely to occur during the fall and winter months, when you are more likely to use gas furnaces, heaters and generators in your homes.
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure can include nausea, headaches and dizziness. You could easily mistake these symptoms for other illnesses such as a viral or flu illness. Severe symptoms can include a loss of consciousness, shortness of breath and loss of muscle control.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately get to fresh air and seek medical attention.