Far from being scary or worthless places, wetlands are wonderful.
We know now that wetlands are a vital link in the natural system that supplies the water which sustains all life.
Wetlands are Important in Many Ways
- Wetlands lessen the destructive effects of storms and floods.
- Wetlands cleanse water of pollutants.
- Wetlands recharge groundwater supplies.
- Wetlands provide homes for many kinds of wildlife.
- Wetlands are beautiful places for people to enjoy being outdoors.
Going, Going, Gone?
Every year, we lose another two percent of the remaining wetlands in the United States
-an astonishing 290,000 acres- to agriculture, development, mining and other purposes.