Columbia Parks and Recreation
Creating Community through People, Parks and Programs
Dedicated on June 29, 1997, Steinberg Playground is the largest playground area in Columbia's park system, covering approximately 400 ft x 280 ft. Designed in-house by park planning staff, the original playground included three playstructures, an elevated deck and walkways that provided access to three slides, a tire climbing area, spring animals, sand play areas, swings, one 25' tube slide, two 30' tube slides, and other play features.
The original playground project was funded by a donation from the Columbia Cosmopolitan Luncheon Club and the City's Capital Improvement Fund. The playground was officially named S.C. "Si" Steinberg Playground after Si Steinberg, who was a Charter Member of the Cosmopolitan Luncheon Club. A commemorative plaque was placed at the playground.
More than 15 years later in 2015, a renovation of the playground was completed to meet revised playground standards, replace worn pieces and add an all-inclusive area to the playground. Play areas are themed from pre-historic times to thefuture. Dedication of the renovated playground was held on June 5, 2015.
At the time of the first playground dedication, Si had been a Charter Member of the Cosmopolitan Luncheon Club for fifty years. Si was president of the Luncheon Club in 1949 and was instrumental in developing Cosmo Park. Some of his activities and accomplishments during the years included: