Columbia Parks and Recreation
Creating Community through People, Parks and Programs
The idea of building a neighborhood park in the area started in 1995 when staff of the Parks and Recreation Department looked at the entire north-central neighborhood area to identify any open space. The property adjacent to the Field Elementary School provided an ideal location for it allowed possible partnership with the school to create a larger public area and ensure more effective use of city monies. The concept of cooperation between the City and School District to provide additional recreational facilities was introduced in 1993 and Parks and Recreation has cooperated with the School by adding new playground equipment to school grounds.
In December 1998, the City purchased the land and the former auto parts building on the property from Harold and Paul Hinshaw for approximately $150,000, with monies from the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) fund.
Built in 1910, the old brick building is for many residents of the neighborhood a landmark of the area and an important link to both history of the neighborhood and personal memories. It had been the Heibel Drug Store where people went not only shopping, but also for a sense of community found in this favorite gathering spot for residents. (Click here for more information on the history of the building and efforts to save and restore the building.)
The park was designed to function as a neighborhood gathering space for use by both the community and the school. Improvements include picnic tables, outdoor classrooms, walkways, drinking fountain, park benches, fencing and a landscape buffer.
Construction of the park began in the Spring of 2000. Total cost of the project was about $45,000, including Parks & Recreation Department labor. The park was dedicated on August 27, 2001.