Contact: Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer, Fire Marshal
Monday through Friday 8am - 5pm
The Columbia Fire Department was dispatched to an injury accident at 1102 Vintage Drive on Tuesday July 2, 2013 at 11:16pm. Units arrived on the scene four minutes later and found a vehicle in the front yard, a portion of the wall of the house destroyed and debris scattered a considerable distance.
Fire crews performed a rapid scene analysis and determined the gas meter had been torn off, there was an active gas leak, a male driver was trapped in the vehicle and there were three occupants in the home. The incident commander upgraded the call to an extrication accident and requested Ameren UE respond. Additional fire units, including the rescue squad, responded. While additional units were en route fire crews disconnected the electricity to the home, moved the homes occupants to a safe location and were able to free the driver who sustained significant injuries. He was transported to University Hospital. Ameren UE arrived a short time later and quickly disconnected the gas.
It is apparent that the driver failed to execute a turn in the roadway, drove through the garage door, traveled through a wall on the north side of the garage with the vehicle coming to rest on the curb in the front yard. Members of Building and Site Development responded to the scene and determined the home would need to be shored up around the area of impact. Fire crews performed temporary shoring to stabilize the building.
Ten units from the Columbia Fire Department responded to this event. The driver of the vehicle was the only person injured.