Contact: City Clerk's Office
Boards and commissions applications are available
COLUMBIA, MO (June 20, 2012)
The Columbia city clerk is accepting applications for boards and commissions. Applications must be received by the clerk's office, 701 E. Broadway, 2nd floor, by noon on Friday, July 6. Applications are available at the clerk's office or on the city's website at www.GoColumbiaMo.com on the City Council page. The following are current boards and commissions openings:
- The Bicycle/Pedestrian Commission has four vacancies with terms to expire July 31, 2015. One member shall have knowledge of street construction and maintenance, and three shall have knowledge of bicycling, bicycle safety and/or bikeways. All must be qualified voters of the city. The commission advises the Council on issues relating to sidewalks, walkways and trails. Monthly meetings are held the third Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- The Board of Electrical Examiners has two vacancies with terms to expire Aug. 1, 2015. One member must be a licensed electrician and one must be a layperson. The board is empowered to give examinations for electricians' licenses and certificates. Monthly meetings, when necessary, are held the third Thursday at 4:30 p.m.
- The Board of Mechanical Examiners has two vacancies with terms to expire June 17, 2014. One member must be an HVACR journeyman mechanic and one must be a general contractor not in the HVACR business. Both must be residents of the city of Columbia. The board is empowered to give examinations for mechanical heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses and certificates. Monthly meetings are held the second Tuesday at 5 p.m.
- The Building Construction Codes Commission has nine vacancies with terms to expire Aug. 1, 2013; Aug. 1, 2014; and Aug. 1, 2015. One regular and one alternate member are needed from each of the following categories: major contractor or superintendent, minor contractor or home builder and electrician. One alternate is also needed from each of the following categories: professional engineer (experience in electrical/mechanical), master plumber and fire expert. The commission periodically reviews and makes recommendations relating to building construction codes. Monthly meetings are held the fourth Monday at 4:30 p.m.
- The C.A.R.E. ADVISORY BOARD has one vacancy with the term to expire March 1, 2014. The member must be interested in promoting the C.A.R.E. program to current and prospective employers in Columbia and Boone County. The board advises the Council on matters pertaining to the C.A.R.E. program. Meetings are held at least quarterly.
- The Columbia Community Development Commission has two vacancies with terms to expire Nov. 1, 2013, and Nov. 1, 2014. One member is needed from Ward 5 and the other member may be from any ward. Both must be qualified voters of the city, and shall not serve on the board of directors or be employed by any agency which applies for funding through the commission or which receives funding upon recommendation of the commission. The commission acts in an advisory capacity in all matters pertaining to community development. Monthly meetings are held on call.
- The Columbia Library District Board has one vacancy to be appointed by the mayor with the term to expire June 30, 2013. The member must reside within the Columbia Library District and shall hold no other office or position in city government. Duties include appointing the librarian and overseeing expenditures of library fund monies. Monthly meetings are held the first Thursday after the second Tuesday.
- The Columbia Vision Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire Dec. 15, 2013, for a coordinating committee member. The member must be a qualified voter residing within the city of Columbia or a resident of Boone County not residing within the city limits of Columbia and must have demonstrated a commitment to the visioning process. Candidates will be evaluated on the ability to work with data and understand systematic relationships, the ability to work collaboratively, management skills, independence, existing memberships or positions and contributions to the diversity of the commission. The commission tracks, monitors and assists with the implementation of the visioning process. Meetings are held the last Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
- The Comprehensive Plan Task Force has one vacancy. Consideration will be given to prior involvement in the visioning process, service on a city commission, professional credentials or participation in a civic, business or professional organization. The task force advises and assists the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council on all phases of the comprehensive plan development, including citizen involvement, public education and outreach, recruitment of volunteers and review of interim products. Meetings are generally held twice a month on Wednesday or Thursday evenings.
- The Mayor's Committee on Physical Fitness has one vacancy to be appointed by the mayor with the term to expire Nov. 30, 2014. The committee educates the public about the importance of regular physical fitness activity and promotes, initiates and encourages local physical fitness and sports programs in the community. Meetings are held the first Tuesday of every even month at 12:30 p.m.
- The Public Communications Resource Advisory Committee has one vacancy with the term to expire Dec. 31, 2013. The member must be a qualified voter and resident of the city of Columbia from Ward 1 or Ward 3, and be experienced in the field of communications, citizenship or management of not-for-profit organizations. Members shall not be paid officers or employees of the city, nor shall they serve on the board of directors or be employed by any entity that applies for funding through the committee or which receives funding upon recommendation of the committee. The committee advises the City Council in allocating designated revenue to entities that provide public communication services to Columbia citizens. Meetings are held on call.
- The Railroad Advisory Board has one vacancy with the term to expire July 15, 2016. The member must have knowledge and interest in railroad, shipping, transportation or business, and be sympathetic with the principle of municipal ownership and operation of branch line rail operations. The board advises the Council on the operations and needs of the Columbia Terminal railroad. Meetings are held the second Thursday of the month at 8 a.m. at least once quarterly.
- The Storm Water Advisory Commission has two vacancies with terms to expire June 30, 2014. Members must be qualified voters and residents of the city for at least one year prior to appointment and be sympathetic with the principle of municipal storm water management that ensures sound and efficient management of the system. The commission advises staff with regard to policy and long-range goals in all matters concerning the storm water utility. Meetings are held on call.
- The Substance Abuse Advisory Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire Oct. 31, 2014. The member must be a student under age 25, and shall have demonstrated interest in and concern for substance and alcohol abuse programs in the community. The commission promotes coordination of programs intended to prevent and eliminate alcohol and substance abuse. Monthly meetings are held the second Wednesday at 12 p.m.