Contact: City Clerk's Office
Boards and commissions applications are available
COLUMBIA, MO (August 22, 2012)
- The Bicycle/Pedestrian Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire July 31, 2013. The member must have an interest in pedestrian safety and infrastructure and be a qualified voter of the city. The commission advises the Council on issues relating to sidewalks, walkways and trails. Monthly meetings are held the third Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- The Board of Electrical Examiners has one vacancy with the term to expire Aug. 1, 2015. The member must be a licensed electrician. The board is empowered to give examinations for electricians' licenses and certificates. Monthly meetings, when necessary, are held the third Thursday at 4:30 p.m.
- The Board of Mechanical Examiners has two vacancies with terms to expire June 17, 2014. One member must be an HVACR journeyman mechanic and one must be a general contractor not in the HVACR business. Both must be residents of the city of Columbia. The board is empowered to give examinations for mechanical heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses and certificates. Monthly meetings are held the second Tuesday at 5 p.m.
- The Building Construction Codes Commission has five vacancies with terms to expire Aug. 1, 2013, Aug. 1, 2014 and Aug. 1, 2015. One alternate is needed from each of the following categories: professional engineer (experience in electrical/mechanical), master plumber, minor contractor or homebuilder, electrician and fire expert. The commission periodically reviews and makes recommendations relating to building construction codes. Monthly meetings are held the fourth Monday at 4:30 p.m.
- The C.A.R.E. Advisory Board has two vacancies with terms to expire March 1, 2013, and March 1, 2014. Members must be interested in promoting the C.A.R.E. program to current and prospective employers in Columbia and Boone County. The board advises the Council on matters pertaining to the C.A.R.E. program. Meetings are held at least quarterly.
- The City of Columbia New Century Fund Inc. Board has three vacancies with terms to expire Sept. 30, 2015. Members must have an interest in the future of the City of Columbia and the funding needs required to achieve future success and must be current residents and qualified electors of the City of Columbia. The New Century Fund Inc. is a Missouri not-for-profit corporation. Meetings are held on call.
- The Columbia Community Development Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire Nov. 1, 2014. The member must be a qualified voter and resident of Ward 5 and shall not serve on the board of directors or be employed by any agency which applies for funding through the commission or which receives funding upon recommendation of the commission. The commission acts in an advisory capacity in all matters pertaining to community development. Monthly meetings are held on call.
- The Columbia Vision Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire Dec. 15, 2013, for a coordinating committee member. The member must be a qualified voter, residing within the City of Columbia, or a resident of Boone County, not residing within the city limits of Columbia. The member must have demonstrated a commitment to the visioning process. Candidates will be evaluated on the ability to work with data and understand systematic relationships, the ability to work collaboratively, management skills, independence, existing memberships or positions, and contributions to the diversity of the commission. The commission tracks, monitors and assists with the implementation of the visioning process. Meetings are held the last Monday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
- The Convention and Visitors Advisory Board has seven vacancies with terms to expire Sept. 30, 2014. Four members must be owners or operators of a hotel or motel within the city limits. All shall have demonstrated by past activities an interest in the convention and tourism business. The board shall advise the city on the use of the funds created by the hotel and motel tax. Monthly meetings are held the last Monday at 12 p.m.
- The Disabilities Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire June 15, 2015. The member must be a resident of the city and have knowledge or experience in providing services to individuals with disabilities or an interest in the welfare of city residents with disabilities. The commission considers concerns relating to residents with disabilities. Monthly meetings are held the second Thursday at 3 p.m.
- The Mayor's Committee on Physical Fitness has three vacancies to be appointed by the mayor with terms to expire Nov. 30, 2014. The committee educates the public about the importance of regular physical fitness activity and promotes, initiates and encourages local physical fitness and sports programs in the community. Monthly meetings are held the first Tuesday of every even month at 12:30 p.m.
- The Personnel Advisory Board has two vacancies with terms to expire Sept. 30, 2015. Members shall have significant, substantive knowledge of social, legislative, political, and administrative factors affecting personnel management and employee relations. All must be residents and registered qualified voters of the city. In addition, members must not hold a lucrative position in city government nor any other lucrative public office during their terms. The board advises the Council on its findings, opinions, various conclusions and recommendations on the status of the personnel system. Meetings are held on call.
- The Public Communications Resource Advisory Committee has one vacancy with the term to expire Dec. 31, 2013. The member must be a qualified voter and resident of the City of Columbia from Ward 1 or Ward 3, and be experienced in the field of communications, citizenship or management of not-for-profit organizations. Members shall not be paid officers or employees of the city, nor shall they serve on the board of directors or be employed by any entity that applies for funding through the committee or which receives funding upon recommendation of the committee. The committee advises the City Council in allocating designated revenue to entities that provide public communication services to Columbia citizens. Meetings are held on call.
- The Railroad Advisory Board has one vacancy with the term to expire July 15, 2016. The member must have knowledge and interest in railroad, shipping, transportation or business, and be sympathetic with the principle of municipal ownership and operation of branch line rail operations. The board advises the Council on the operations and needs of the Columbia Terminal Railroad. Meetings are held the second Thursday of the month at 8 a.m. at least once quarterly.
- The Substance Abuse Advisory Commission has one vacancy with the term to expire Oct. 31, 2014. The member must be a student under age 25, and shall have demonstrated interest in and concern for substance and alcohol abuse programs in the community. The commission promotes coordination of programs intended to prevent and eliminate alcohol and substance abuse. Monthly meetings are held the second Wednesday at 12 p.m.