Contact: Captain John Metz
Duty PIO Pager 573-441-6608 (24 hours - Leave detailed message)
Office 573-874-7644 (M-F, 8-5)
At 8:15 a.m. Saturday morning, the Columbia Fire Department responded to a reported residential structure fire at 3209 Crawford Street in southwest Columbia. The 9-1-1 caller reported fire and smoke in the garage of the residence.
Columbia firefighters arrived on the scene at 8:19 a.m. and found heavy smoke coming from around the closed garage door of the single-story home. Firefighters determined the fire was contained to the garage and forced entry through the garage door. Firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control in about ten minutes. Fire crews spent an additional two hours overhauling the damage, removing burned ceiling drywall and charred insulation.
The home had been without power since Friday evening when a thunderstorm caused a tree limb to fall on the power lines leading to the house. Columbia Fire Investigator Lt. Lisa Todd determined that the cause of the fire was a candle that accidentally ignited combustibles on a garage workbench. Lt. Todd stated that the occupant of the home had been using a candle for light when she went into the garage to retrieve a garden tool. After retrieving the tool, the occupant picked up the candle and went outside. Within five minutes the occupant noticed smoke coming from the garage and called 9-1-1.
"Candles caused at least four house fires in Columbia last year and more than 1,200 nationally" said Fire Capt. John Metz. "People must be very careful using candles during a power outage. Having a flashlight or even battery-operated candles are safer sources of light during a power failure" Metz said.
Fire damage was contained to the garage and attic above the garage. There was moderate water damage to the adjoining kitchen and the basement below. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $25,000. There were no injuries. Smoke alarms were present in the home. The homeowner does have insurance.
Three fire engines, a ladder, and a rescue squad responded to the fire.
Photos accompany this release.