Contact: Leigh Britt
Neighborhood Services Manager
The City of Columbia's Office of Neighborhood Services, a division of the Community Development Department, has released information on code enforcement work performed during the city's 2012 fiscal year that ended Sept. 30.
During FY12, staff in the Office of Neighborhood Services handled 3,709 code enforcement cases including weeds, residential property maintenance violations, trash, nuisances, inoperable or unlicensed vehicles and residential zoning violations. Eighty-one percent of those cases resulted in voluntary compliance by the property owner. Active cases will continue to be addressed by city staff until compliance is achieved.
Citizen complaints account for 39 percent of the code enforcement cases handled by the Office of Neighborhood Services with the remaining 61 percent initiated by staff.
The Office of Neighborhood Services is also responsible for the registration and inspection of residential rental units. The city currently has 9,149 buildings and 24,525 units registered, an increase of 556 units over the year. Staff responded to 140 complaints from tenants during FY12.
The Office of Neighborhood Services is committed to supporting quality residential life in Columbia. Residents with concerns or questions about code violations or rental compliance are welcome to contact the office through the city's website at www.GoColumbiaMo.com or by calling (573) 817-5050.