Contact: Contact: Battalion Chief James L. Weaver
573-441-6608 - Columbia Fire Department Media Line
573-874-7503 Office (M-F, 8-5)
For Immediate Release:
Firefighters Rescue Homeowner during a North Columbia Structure Fire
On 10/12/2012, members of the Columbia Fire Department were dispatched, at 9:02 pm, to a reported residential structure fire at 1604 Parklawn Ct.
Upon their arrival at 9:07 crews were informed that one resident was outside, and a second resident was down inside the structure. As crews entered they found the structure full of smoke, fire in a bedroom, and a male victim in a second adjacent bedroom. Crews rescued the victim and transferred him to paramedics on the scene who then transported him to University Hospital as a Trauma Alert (patient with life threatening injuries). The second resident, a female, was transported to University Hospital by CPD. The fire was under control in less than five minutes and then large fans were used to clear the smoke and heat from the structure.
Assistant Fire Marshal Brian Davison investigated the fire and determined the area of origin of the fire was located in the bedroom where the fire was contained. He also stated that the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction. AFM Davison issued a preliminary damage estimate of $ 60,000.00 for the damages caused by the fire. Crews reported that smoke detectors were sounding upon their arrival and there were no other reported injuries as a result of this fire.
The Columbia Fire Department wants to remind residents that working smoke alarms do save lives. Test your smoke alarms at least once a month by pressing the test button. Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once a year. Replace smoke alarms every 10 years. To ensure adequate protection, place smoke alarms in every sleeping room, and in a common area on every floor. If you cannot afford a smoke alarm, call the Columbia Fire Department at 573-874-7556 to schedule an appointment to have free smoke alarms installed. For residences who need assistance in checking their smoke alarms, they can also contact the Columbia Fire Department.