The City of Columbia encourages strategies to minimize the impact on ecosystems and our natural resources.
- Stormwater Management: Find contact information, outreach, education, construction, new development, and resource information about the City’s storm water management program; including the following projects:
- Storm Drain Mural Project: Innovative project to raise awareness on our stormwater drains and where the water drains to (hint: it's not a wastewater treatment plant.)
- Rain Barrels for sale: The City of Columbia Public Works Department have partnered with Rain Water Solutions Inc ® to provide customers the opportunity to obtain complete rain barrel kit at a greatly reduced price.
- Local Food Production: Columbia is committed to increasing food security and access to fresh, healthy and local foods. Here are some examples of how the City supports local food production:
- Garden plots are available for rental at Fairview Park, 1001 Fairview Road, with access to plots off of Westport Road. Try out your "green thumb" on one of our 25' x 50' non-irrigated garden areas.
- Unite4Health Community Garden: Employees from multiple city departments partnered with Community Garden Coalition members to utilize vacant land west of the Health department for a community garden. The garden provides benefit to the neighborhood and WIC participants.
- Columbia is host to many farmer's markets and food stands. Three are located on city-owned property for part of the year (April - October):