Volunteer Programs is located in the Grissum Building, 1313 Lakeview, near the city power plant. We can be reached at 874-7499 or volunteer@GoColumbiaMo.com.
Do you enjoy fun, rewarding and new experiences? Then Volunteer Columbia has just the opportunity for you!
Here's how you can volunteer! APPLY HERE
Volunteer Information Center - SELF SCHEDULE AND LOG HOURS HERE
The City of Columbia has a number of volunteer opportunities that need volunteers soon! Please contact us at 874-7499 or volunteer@GoColumbiaMo.com if you are interested or would like to learn more:
- Our next Park Patrol training is Wednesday, January 28, 4-5:30 p.m. at City Hall, Conference Room 5D on the Fifth Floor in Community Development.
- Are you looking to gain some customer service experience? We have the perfect volunteer opportunity for you! The City of Columbia's Public Communications/Document Support Center is looking for a volunteer to assign with answering the phone, helping with customer needs, delivering inner-office mail, etc. from 8 a.m.-noon Monday-Friday. Please contact Ron Moser if you are interested in this wonderful opportunity!
- Sidewalk Snow Removal: We are looking for volunteers to help clear snow on sidewalks in some areas of public right of way.
- Serve as a Litter Pickup Event Leader!
- We are looking for volunteers for our new Recycling Ambassador program. If you are passionate about waste reduction, please attend our next training session on Saturday, February 7, 10 a.m. to noon at the ARC, 1701 W. Ash. Training will include communication techniques, local waste reduction and prevention topics, proper recycling techniques, and alternative recycling and waste disposal options. For registration please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-874-6271.
- The dates have been set for our 2015 parks volunteer programs! The TreeKeepers class will be offered February 17, 19 & 21 and CARP will be offered March 10, 17 & 31.
- The City's Volunteer Program and the Public Works Stormwater Education Program are partnering on a new volunteer program to allow residents to adopt a rain garden.
- Student/Internship projects: We have a variety of semester (or longer!) projects ideal for students including sidewalk snow removal and recycling education. Contact us to learn more!
- Do you have happy feet? Find out about volunteer opportunities that need the help of those skilled in dance, cheer and jump rope!
- Columbia Parks & Recreation Community Recreation Program has several volunteer opportunities including:
- We are looking for piano instructors!
Instructors: Share your skills in the Spanish language with
children and/or adults - 3 program choices available, great opportunity to
change someone's life! E-mail Mary Dewey to volunteer or call 817-5077. This activity will continue again in the fall.
- Beginning Guitar Instructors are
needed for 5-11 year olds and/or age 12 & up. You do not have to be an
expert, just willing to teach (instructional materials are provided) and
confident. 12 Thursday evening sessions beginning January 24, 2013, 6:15pm til 7:15pm for the younger students and 7:30pm til 8:30pm for 12 & up.
- Share YOUR special skill through Community Recreation! If you have a talent or passion that you'd like to share with kids, teens,
adults or seniors/boomers but don't see it listed here, let us know! Contact us to share your idea.
- Getabout Columbia a project of Columbia Parks & Recreation has opportunities for Trail Ride Leaders and Education Campaign Assistants. Read more!
- Board & Commission Openings - There are many great ways to serve our City!
- Special Olympics - Positions are limited and filled weeks in advance so don't wait to sign up. Must commit to the entire season and have a Class A application form on file. Contact Jody Cook or call (573) 874-7312 for more information.
- There are many special events coming up that need the help of volunteers! Visit our web calendar to learn more.
- Keep Embracing Youth (K.E.Y.) Lock-ins –Volunteers will assist staff working with youth in attendance at quarterly male-only and female-only Lock-Ins at the Armory (Boys' Lock-ins will be held every 3rd Friday in January, April, July and October/Girls' will be every 4th Friday in those months). Hours are 8:30pm Friday until 8:30am Saturday morning, shifts are a possibility. Positive Role models needed. Background checks are required; prefer volunteers who will return quarterly.
- Graffiti Removal: Neighborhoods and individuals are invited to adopt public areas that are frequently tagged with graffiti.
Office of Neighborhood Services
View our Event Calendar to see the many opportunities for volunteers.
Complete a volunteer application, you can fill it out online, or print out and mail it to us. Our address is Volunteer Programs, City of Columbia, P.O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65205.
Office Location Information:
We are located at 701 E. Broadway, in City Hall. We are part of the Office of Neighborhood Services, in the Community Development Department. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Because we have a small staff we recommend calling before you make a trip to our office. We look forward to your visit!
Volunteer Guide for new and existing volunteers
What is Volunteer Columbia?
Volunteer Columbia connects citizens who want to serve with city staff and departments who have opportunities to help! The mission of the City's Volunteer Programs is to provide valuable opportunities to build community while volunteering in city government.
As a volunteer, you become a partner with Volunteer Columbia
to implement programs that benefit you, your neighbor and the community as a whole! At the same time you can meet new people, explore new careers, stay active after retirement, or spend quality time with your family. Best yet -- you're helping others and making a difference in your community.
The City offers innovative volunteer opportunities that foster personal growth, development and satisfaction. The City will work to find a volunteer assignment that will fit both the talents and the time you want to share.
If you are interested in other volunteer opportunities with the city, e-mail us at volunteer@GoColumbiaMO.com or call 874-7499. Volunteer opportunities exist in every department and together we'll find the right one for you.
View Budget Information for this Department.
City of Columbia
Community Development Department
Office of Neighborhood Services ~ Volunteer Programs
P.O. Box 6015
Grissum Building - 1313 Lakeview
Columbia, MO 65205