Environment & Energy Commission
City of Columbia & Boone County
Daniel Boone Building, Third Floor Conference Room
Minutes of Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Present: Miles, Sax, Lenhardt, Collins, Deken, Skala, Hunter (Teresa), Walters
Absent: Cunningham, Wade, Turner
City Staff Liaison: Hasheider
Guests: Richard Parker (citizen), Lee Logan (Missourian), Andrew Lynch (J-School project)
- Deken called the meeting to order at 7:08pm.
- New County member Teresa Hunter was introduced.
- The Agenda was approved, as amended.
- The Minutes of the 27 June 2006 meeting were approved, with amendments.
- A discussion of the status of EEC Annual Reports took place, especially with respect to reporting to and communicating with the County Commission. Sax will pursue this matter through Carol Gragg, secretary to the County Commission.
- Skala gave a report on Outdoor Lighting. A working document is progressing through Planning and Zoning, then hopefully it will be presented to the City Council in September.
- Skala discussed the $60M Electric Revenue Bond issue, which will be submitted to public vote on 8 Aug 2006. Skala based his comments on a recent presentation by Dan Dasho to the Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee, as well as an insert contained in the latest City utility billing.
- Skala presented an update on the smoking ordinance on behalf of Alyce Turner. Alyce will provide more details at the next EEC meeting.
- Deken commented on the letter drafted by Cunningham to the City Council relative to Home Weatherization Assistance Program. The Commission voted to forward the letter, as slightly modified, to the City Council.
- Skala presented a draft letter to John Glascock, Director of Public Works, concerning land disturbance permitting processes and guidelines. The Commission voted to forward the letter, as slightly modified.
- Miles presented a draft letter to the City Council on the topic of Measure(s) of Energy Efficiency and Conservation Effectiveness. The Commission approved the letter (with modest alterations) and 2 attachments.
- Walters asked that the Commission discuss at its next meeting the statement on the Kyoto Protocol recently approved by the City Council.
- At our next meeting, Hasheider is to comment on the City’s mid-year report on its renewable energy initiatives.
- Walters requested that Hasheider prepare an up-dated EEC roster.
- Lenhardt passed out and commented on some material related to guidelines for new building developments. He requested that Commission members read this material prior discussing it at the next meeting.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:19pm.
John Miles, Secretary