Volunteer Programs is located in City Hall, 701 E. Broadway, fifth floor, in Community Development. We can be reached at 874-7499 or volunteer@GoColumbiaMo.com.
Do you enjoy fun, rewarding and new experiences? Then Volunteer Columbia has just the opportunity for you!
Here’s how you can volunteer! APPLY HERE
Volunteer Information Center – SELF SCHEDULE AND LOG HOURS HERE
The City of Columbia has a number of volunteer opportunities that need volunteers soon! Please contact us at 874-7499 or volunteer@GoColumbiaMo.com if you are interested or would like to learn more:
- The Bear Creek Run half marathon will be held Saturday, October 17 starting and ending at Albert Oakland Park. We have a special need for adult volunteers to help with key points along the route from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
- Litter pick up events area a great way to make our community look great! Join leader Pat Cahalin. Pickups are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, October 14 – Lions-Stephens Park – 4 p.m.
- Thursday, October 15 – Meet at Paris Road/Route B and Brown Station Road – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 21 – Cosmo Bethel Park – 4 p.m.
- Thursday, October 22 – Blue Ridge Road (between Rangeline & Garth) – 5 p.m.
- Saturday, October 24 – East Campus – meet at Wilson & Lee – 10 a.m.
- Household Hazardous Waste collections are coming up Oct. 17, Nov. 7 and Nov. 21, 8 a.m. to noon at the Grissum Building, 1313 Lakeview. Volunteers are needed to help greet the public and stir paint; shifts are 8-10 a.m. and 10 a.m. to noon.
- The Hinkson Clean Sweep has been postponed until Saturday, Oct. 17. To participate, meet at Capen Park at 10 a.m.
- Starting September 1st-Blue Thunder Track Club is looking for volunteer assistant coaches to assist with cross country. Coaches will guide and instruct young men and women in their pursuit of mastering their craft. Normal practices are Tues, Thurs (6-7:30 p.m.) & Saturdays (10-11 a.m)-approximately 4 to 5 hours a week. Cross Country Meets are held on Saturdays and Sundays. Please contact Camren Cross at email@example.com or Stephanie King at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping out.
- SPOOKtacular will be held on Halloween Night, Saturday, October 31, 5-7 p.m. at Cosmo Park. Groups are needed to host games and activities for kids 6th grade and younger. Groups can register here. Individual volunteers are also needed and can email us to get involved at volunteer@GoColumbiaMo.com.
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training is scheduled for October 15-18. Assist the Columbia Fire Department at special events and help our community prepare for emergencies and disasters by being a CERT volunteer. To learn more email email@example.com.
- The City’s Volunteer Program and the Public Works Stormwater Education Program are partnering on a volunteer program to allow residents to adopt a rain garden
- Student/Internship projects: We have a variety of semester (or longer!) projects ideal for students including sidewalk snow removal and recycling education. Contact us to learn more!
- Do you have happy feet? Find out about volunteer opportunities that need the help of those skilled in dance, cheer and jump rope!
- Dance instruction assistants for the Sho-Me Sho-Stoppers Hip Hop Dance Club. Find out more!
- Volunteers are needed to help with the Lil Lady Bulldogs Cheer & Dance Group
- Leaders are needed for the Double Dutch Jump Roping team
- Flag Line Instructor, no need to be an expert, just be passionate about keeping kids positive and involved; training materials available!
Anyone looking to share dance skills in tap or jazz? We’d like to create a new class or two at the Armory for summer…speak with Mary Dewey at 573-817-5077 for more info.
- Columbia Parks & Recreation Community Recreation Program has several volunteer opportunities including:
- We are looking for piano instructors!
Spanish Instructors: Share your skills in the Spanish language with children and/or adults – 3 program choices available, great opportunity to change someone’s life! E-mail Mary Dewey to volunteer or call 817-5077. This activity will continue again in the fall.
Beginning Guitar Instructors are needed for 5-11 year olds and/or age 12 & up. You do not have to be an expert, just willing to teach (instructional materials are provided) and confident. 12 Thursday evening sessions beginning January 24, 2013, 6:15pm til 7:15pm for the younger students and 7:30pm til 8:30pm for 12 & up.
Share YOUR special skill through Community Recreation! If you have a talent or passion that you’d like to share with kids, teens, adults or seniors/boomers but don’t see it listed here, let us know! Contact us to share your idea.
Getabout Columbia a project of Columbia Parks & Recreation has opportunities for Trail Ride Leaders and Education Campaign Assistants. Read more!
Board & Commission Openings – There are many great ways to serve our City!
Special Olympics – Positions are limited and filled weeks in advance so don’t wait to sign up. Must commit to the entire season and have a Class A application form on file. Contact Jody Cook or call (573) 874-7312 for more information.
There are many special events coming up that need the help of volunteers! Visit our web calendar to learn more.
Keep Embracing Youth (K.E.Y.) Lock-ins –Volunteers will assist staff working with youth in attendance at quarterly male-only and female-only Lock-Ins at the Armory (Boys’ Lock-ins will be held every 3rd Friday in January, April, July and October/Girls’ will be every 4th Friday in those months). Hours are 9:00 pm Friday until 7:00 am Saturday morning, shifts are a possibility. Positive Role models needed. Background checks are required; prefer volunteers who will return quarterly.
Graffiti Removal: Neighborhoods and individuals are invited to adopt public areas that are frequently tagged with graffiti.
View our Event Calendar to see the many opportunities for volunteers.
Complete a volunteer application, you can fill it out online, or print out and mail it to us. Our address is Volunteer Programs, City of Columbia, P.O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65205.
Office Location Information:
We are located at 701 E. Broadway, in City Hall. We are part of the Office of Neighborhood Services, in the Community Development Department. Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Because we have a small staff we recommend calling before you make a trip to our office. We look forward to your visit!
What is Volunteer Columbia?
Volunteer Columbia connects citizens who want to serve with city staff and departments who have opportunities to help! The mission of the City’s Volunteer Programs is to provide valuable opportunities to build community while volunteering in city government.
As a volunteer, you become a partner with Volunteer Columbia to implement programs that benefit you, your neighbor and the community as a whole! At the same time you can meet new people, explore new careers, stay active after retirement, or spend quality time with your family. Best yet — you’re helping others and making a difference in your community.
The City offers innovative volunteer opportunities that foster personal growth, development and satisfaction. The City will work to find a volunteer assignment that will fit both the talents and the time you want to share.
If you are interested in other volunteer opportunities with the city, e-mail us at volunteer@GoColumbiaMO.com or call 874-7499. Volunteer opportunities exist in every department and together we’ll find the right one for you.
City of Columbia
Community Development Department
Office of Neighborhood Services ~ Volunteer Programs
P.O. Box 6015
Grissum Building – 1313 Lakeview
Columbia, MO 65205