Chapter 11 HEALTH AND SANITATION*
Section 11-367 Minimum aseptic technique.
Operators shall comply with the following regulations:
(1) Neither the patron or operator shall
consume or bring food or drink into the tattooing area
and shall not smoke during the procedure or in the room where the tattooing takes place.
(2) The operator must be free from communicable
disease while tattooing and present no
pustular lesions of the hands or arms.
(3) The operator's hands shall be thoroughly
washed in hot water with soap, using a short-bristled brush, and dried with a disposable paper towel
immediately before tattooing. If the
operator interrupts the procedure to perform other duties, the operator's hands shall be washed
again in the manner provided in this section before resuming the tattoo procedure.
(4) The operator shall wear a clean and
easily cleanable smock and latex/rubber single use
disposable gloves while tattooing.
(5) The operator while tattooing shall
wear an effective hair restraint, shall have clean
fingernails and shall be generally clean and free from offensive body odors.
(6) The skin surrounding the area where
the tattoo is to be placed shall first be washed with a
germicidal soap and then shaved with a disposable blade.
(7) Individual razor blades shall be
used when the patron is shaved and disposed of in an
(8) The tattoo shall be bandaged with
a sterile non-stick type bandage when the procedure
has been completed.
(9) All infections resulting from tattooing
shall be reported within five (5) business days to
the director by the person owning or operating the tattoo establishment. The operator shall advise
the patron to seek appropriate medical treatment for the infection.
(Ord. No. 15145, § 1, 2-3-97)