Register For Crime Free Mini Storage Program
The Columbia Crime Free Mini-Storage Program was designed to help renters, owners, and managers of mini-storage properties keep drugs and other illegal activity off their property.
This program is honest and direct. It is solution oriented. It is designed to be easy, yet very effective in reducing the incidents of crime in mini-storage properties.
The program utilizes a unique three-part approach which ensures the crime prevention goal, while remaining very customer friendly. Phase One involves a four-hour seminar presented by the police department. Phase Two will certifies that the mini-storage facility has met the security requirements of the Columbia Police Department. After full certification, the managers will be granted the use of large metal signs for display on the property. The management will also be granted the use of the police department's program logo in all advertisements.
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base.
- Increased demand in storage facilities with a reputation for active management .
- Lower maintenance and repair costs .
- Peace of mind that comes from spending more time on routine management and less time on crisis control.
- Appreciative renters.
- Reduced criminal activity.
- Increased property recovery rate by police.
When criminals and other destructive tenants operate out of mini-storage properties, landlords and tenants pay a high price.
That price may include:
- Property damage arising from abuse, burglaries and police raids
- Fire resulting from storage of dangerous materials
- Civil penalties, including temporary closure of the property -- or even property seizure
- Loss of rent during the eviction and repair periods
- Fear and frustration when dealing with dangerous and threatening tenants
- Increased resentment and anger between renters and property managers
- The loss of valued renters
- Decrease in demand for storage units
- Thousands of dollars in stolen property
- Preparing the property so it does not attract crime
- Applicant screening procedures
- Rental agreements
- Crime Free Lease Addendum
- Warning signs of illegal activity
- Actions you must take if you discover illegal activity at your property
Proven Management Techniques
- On-going management
- Spotting illegal activity
- Working with the police
- How to become a pro-active property manager
- Crisis resolution
- C.P.T.E.D. (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design)
- Fire Safety
- Police Department issued literature addressing criminal activity in mini-storage facilities
- Fire Department issued literature addressing fire safety in mini-storage facilities
Renter's Obligation to Provide:
- Valid photo I.D.
- Social Security Number
- Date of birth
- Current address and telephone number
- Emergency telephone numbers
- A police accepted padlock for use on the storage locker
NOTE: Renter must also maintain a current inventory of contents inside the storage locker.
Property Manager's Obligations:
- Attend the four hour training course
- Require tenants to use police accepted padlocks on the storage locker
- Require the use of break away tape on all locks
- Keep all empty lockers locked
- Post official "No Trespassing" signs in visible locations on the property and prosecute all violations
- Patrol the property at least daily to deter and discover criminal activity
- Provide police random access 24 hours a day to storage facility to patrol the property and walk through facility with drug detection dogs
- Provide the police department's Crime Free Programs Coordinator with monthly lists of new tenants
- Require renters to sign the Crime Free Lease Addendum
Officer Melvin Buckner
Office: (573) 874-7426
America Crime Free Inc. www.midamericacrimefree.com A
501(c)3 to assist cities in MO, KS, IA, and NE in
improving the quality of life in the housing/lodging/
International Crime Free Association www.crime-free-association.org More
tips on Crime Free Multi Housing
Conducting Background Checks www.accudataservices.com Accudata
Credit Systems - a mid Missouri company providing
nationwide criminal and credit background checks
and dedicated to Crime Free Programs
Boone County Missouri Sex Offender Registry www.showmeboone.com/sheriff
A list of registered sex offenders residing in Boone County Missouri
Emergency Planning www.ready.gov Preparing
for any emergency situation. Information prepared
by U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Return to Crime Free Programs