Contact: Captain Eric Hartman - (573) 874-7644
COLUMBIA, MO (September 29, 2008) - Columbia firefighters were called at 10:45 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 29, to 1104 North Providence Road, Hickman High School, for a report of a structure fire. During the response of the initial units, the Columbia Fire Department received additional information that the building automatic fire alarm had also activated.
Fire crews arrived and discovered light smoke in the gymnasium. Further investigation determined the smoke was coming from a 3-foot by 4-foot utility service tunnel beneath the gymnasium. Firefighters entered the tunnel and using thermal imagine cameras discovered an arcing electrical junction box and small fire in some pipe insulation below the box. Electrical service through the tunnel was disconnected and the fire was extinguished. Fire crews used electric fans to assist with removing smoke from the structure. There were no injuries and damage is estimated at $3,000.
Investigators from the Columbia Fire Department were on scene and have determined the cause to be an electrical malfunction.
All students and faculty were evacuated from the building for approximately 30-40 minutes while fire crews worked at the scene.