Contact: Sgt Joe Bernhard
Public Relations Unit/Mounted Unit Supervisor
RESULTS OF DWI CHECKPOINT FOR 4TH OF JULY WEEKEND
On 07/05/13 to 07/06/13, the Columbia Police Department conducted two sobriety checkpoints. The first one was in the 2900 block of Clark Lane and the second one was on Providence at Big Bear.
The checkpoint on Clark Lane began at approximately 10:00 P.M. on 07/05/13 and concluded at midnight. There were a total of 176 vehicles stopped at this checkpoint. This checkpoint resulted in 2 DWI arrests.
The checkpoint on Providence began at 12.25 A.M. on 07/06/13 and concluded at 3:30 A.M. There were a total of 87 vehicles stopped at this checkpoint. This checkpoint resulted in 4 DWI Arrests. T
The following are the total charges made at both checkpoint locations:
- 6 Driving While Intoxicated Violations
- 2 Misdemeanor Drug cases (possession of under 35 grams of marijuana)
- 2 Child Restraint Violations
- 5 Suspended/Revoked Driver's License Violation
- 2 No Operator License Violations
- 1 Misdemeanor Warrant Arrest for a Traffic Violation
- 1 Summons for Failure to Maintain Lane
2 Additional DWI arrests were made by officers in addition to the 6 arrests at the checkpoints.