Contact: Captain John Metz
Duty PIO Pager 573-441-6608 (For Active Emergency Incidents - Leave detailed message)
Office 573-874-7644 (M-F, 8-5)
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 7:00 a.m. the Columbia Fire Department responded to a reported commercial structure fire at 200 Portland Avenue, the Boyce & Bynum Pathology Laboratories. A building occupant called 9-1-1 to report smoke in the building and drivers passing by on Portland Avenue reported smoke and flames coming from the roof of the large, single story building.
Columbia firefighters arrived on the scene at 7:06 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming from the north-east corner of the roof. Firefighters confirmed that everyone was out of the building and determined the fire was contained to the north-east area of the roof. Firefighters used a ground ladder to access the roof and extinguished the fire using a single hose line and a pressurized water fire extinguisher. All fire damage was contained to the roof of the building. The fire was under control in approximately ten minutes.
Columbia Assistant Fire Marshal Lisa Todd investigated the fire and determined it was the result of a halogen light fixture placed too close to combustible roof materials. Damage is estimated at $5,000. There were no injuries. Three fire engines, a ladder truck, and a rescue squad responded to the incident. Units remained on the scene for more than an hour removing smoke from building. Portland Avenue, between Albany Drive and Lansing Avenue, was closed to traffic during the incident.
The Columbia Fire Department wants to remind residents that working smoke alarms do save lives. Test your smoke alarms at least once a month by pressing the test button. Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once a year. Replace smoke alarms every 10 years. To ensure adequate protection, place smoke alarms in every sleeping room, and in a common area on every floor.