Contact: Leigh Britt
Office of Neighborhood Services releases code enforcement figures for Fiscal Year 2013
COLUMBIA, MO (October 17, 2013) - The City of Columbia's Office of Neighborhood Services, a division of the Community Development Department, has released information on residential code enforcement work performed during the city's 2013 fiscal year that ended Sept. 30.
During FY13, staff in the Office of Neighborhood Services handled 6,033 code enforcement cases, mostly on residential properties. Types of cases handled include weed violations, residential property maintenance violations, accumulations of trash, nuisances, inoperable or unlicensed vehicles and residential zoning violations. As of September 30, 85.5% of violations had been resolved through voluntary compliance or had no violation. Active cases will continue to be addressed by city staff until compliance is achieved.
Citizen complaints led to 32% of the code enforcement cases handled by the Office of Neighborhood Services while the remaining 68% was initiated by city staff.
The Office of Neighborhood Services is also responsible for the registration and inspection of residential rental units. The city currently has 9,665 buildings and 25,842 units registered, an increase of 1,317 units over the year. Staff responded to 143 complaints from tenants during FY13.
The Office of Neighborhood Services is committed to supporting quality residential life in Columbia. Residents with concerns or questions about code violations or rental compliance are welcome to contact the office through the city's website at www.GoColumbiaMo.com or by calling (573) 817-5050.