Contact: Contact: Battalion Chief James L. Weaver
573-441-6608 - Columbia Fire Department Media Line
573-874-7503 Office (M-F, 8-5)
For Immediate Release:
Small Fire in Body Shop Spray Booth
On 11/15/2013, members of the Columbia Fire Department responded, at 09:32 am, to a reported commercial structure fire at 203 Nebraska Ave. While en-route crews were told a fire had taken place in one of the automotive spray booths at this repair facility. When crews arrived on the scene at 09:36 they found the fire had been extinguished by the automatic sprinkler system and by employees using portable fire extinguishers. Further investigation revealed that a fire had started in one of the spray booths as a shipping label was removed from a new hood. An ember from that fire fell to the floor and was drawn into the air filtration system. The ember landed on the first stage of the filtration system and ignited the material this fire was then drawn into the spray booth air handling duct work where it ignited two other filter racks. These filter racks were then extinguished by a head from the buildings automatic sprinkler system that was installed in the duct work. The remaining fire in the spray booth was extinguished by employees using portable extinguishers.
Assistant Fire Marshal Tim Bach investigated the fire and his findings were consistent with those given by the employees. The individual working in the paint booth did receive a small burn to the hand but he refused treatment. AFM Bach issued an initial damage estimate of $ 1,000 and there were no other injuries associated with this incident.