Contact: Colulmbia Public Works
Snow Operations Update - 7:45 am Janaury 2, 2014
COLUMBIA, MO (January 2, 2014)
Some quick items to note:
- Public Works crews are now working on residential streets.
- Snow Priority Routes still in effect.
- 1st and 2nd priority routes are passable
- Still have snow pack on the roads
- Treated with salt wetted with calcium chloride and mixed with cinders
- Salt assists melting down to about 15 degree's.
- Calcium Chloride lowers the melting temperature down to about zero degrees.
- Cinder assist with traction and with sunshine, assist with melting.
- Bitterly cold temperatures, even with sunshine will not allow for much melt today.
- Private snow removal contractors are reminded not to push snow off of parking lots and onto public roads or sidewalks.
- Columbia Transit is running on Emergency Weather Routes at this time. Update will be issued at 10:00 am
- Columbia Regional Airport is open. Early morning DFW flight departed and two charter 737's have landed and loading over 300 passengers destined for Arlington TX (DFW) to support the Missouri Tiger football team playing in the Cotton Bowl.