Contact: Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer
Media Contact Line - 573-441-6608 (Leave detailed message)
Office - 573-874-7557 Mon - Fri 8am - 5pm
On Friday February 21, 2014 at 7:54am the Columbia Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 201 Austin Avenue.
Units arrived on the scene less than four minutes later and found a vacant home with moderate smoke in the structure.
Fire crews entered the home and found a male subject displaced from permanent lodging who had apparently ignited some paper material on the floor which in turn ignited a section of carpeting. There was no fire but the carpet was smoldering.
Crews ensured there was no active fire and requested an Assistant Fire Marshal respond and investigate. The Police Department was also notified.
Assistant Fire Marshal Lisa Todd estimates the dmamge to be approximately $100. The cause of the fire is improperly discarded smoking material.